Sunday, May 10, 2015

roots and wings

 
 
My mother is a practicing textile artist, and has been so for my entire life.  Growing up I was privy to many conversations about the place of art in the life of a mother, a woman, a person in the community.  Art and art making were integral to my upbringing, from the activities I was given to pass time in our home, or the cultural landscapes of new cities we would visit as a family, art took precedence.  My desire to be an artist comes from my understanding of the language of art and it is the conversation that I want to be part of both on a local, daily, and intimate level as well as a larger global dialogue.

(part of April's letter to apply for grad school - written 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I hope that we can have a conversation about creation. Thank you for taking interest. x