Tuesday, December 22, 2015

merry christmas

I have begun to think about the coming year and that I am turning 65 in 2016.  I am inspired by my own life.   This will be the year of reflection.  When I read those old journals, I still find things that teach me.  Now I am thinking of using my own body of work as another way to reflect  - and am turning to the unfinished projects as a way to move ahead, if that makes sense.  I am using the limit of my design wall as a metaphor for my own mortality - my own limits - and it is pretty big.  The finished pieces are beyond my reach in all directions - which is how I have always wanted to work.  That's what I keep saying - but in 2015, all the pieces I completed were small.  2016 - I want to work as large as my limit.

This is the quilt top today, December 22.  It has been ten years since I have pieced a quilt like this from multiple patterns and with a lot of colour.  Sewing has been therapeutic for me and also thought provoking.  I may never show this particular piece but the quilt top at least will be completed by the end of the month.  I already have ideas for the next two quilts, also based on the 9 patch but much much simpler and as big as my design wall.  2016 will be the year of making.

11 comments:

  1. I love what you are doing here. I want 2016 to be a year of making for me, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How vibrant and full of your life this is! It's the more uncommon pieces in here that draw my eye--love that line of dots and the palest piece with the semi spiral and moon. Unconventional and that's what keeps me coming back to see and read you. Stretch!
    I'm going the other way: back to smaller. I think i've become myopic in many senses of the word!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your love and support over the years, dear Arlee. As long as we keep making, we are alive. xo

      Delete
  3. Such a wonderful sense of journey with the flight of five crows across the top & (((Judy))) thank you for thinking so deeply and always pushing the limits I love visiting this space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mo, you don't know how much I look forward to our exchanges across oceans thanks to the power of the internet. Thank you for your powerful sense of humanity.
      I have a murder of crows to put onto this piece - Shall place them carefully and think of you. xo

      Delete
  4. "I am inspired by my own life." That right there is evidence of a life well and fully, deeply, marvelously lived. That right there is a wonderful strainer for deciding how to live. That right there would make the best tombstone ever. So many rich layers of meaning in your words, in this cloth. Here's to not just"a" but many more years of making. Cheers. Clink. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jeanne
      Thank you very much for the support you have given me through your generous comments over the past year. Wishing you and the engineer all the best for 2016. xo

      Delete
  5. I have a new large project in the planning stages for 2016- it is the year of making and going large

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy New Year! Thank you for your constant inspiration and your amazing talent. I wish you a creative year

      Delete

I hope that we can have a conversation about creation. Thank you for taking interest. x