Friday, May 3, 2019

I work like a gardener

I work for a long time, sometimes years, on the same canvas.
But all this time, there are periods, sometimes quite long,
when I'm not doing anything with it.

It doesn't worry me if a canvas remains in progress for years in my studio.
I think of my studio as a kitchen garden.
Here, there are artichokes.  There, potatoes. 
Leaves must be cut so the fruit can grow.
At the right moment, I must prune.

I work  like a gardener.
Things come slowly.
Things follow their natural course.
They grow, they ripen.
I must graft, I must water, as with lettuce.
Ripening goes on in my mind.
So I'm always working at a great many things at the same time.

Joan Miro  

2 comments:

  1. and now I am humming Pete Seeger's Garden Song ... "inch by inch, row by row ... "

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful thoughts and work on the wall

    ReplyDelete

I hope that we can have a conversation about creation. Thank you for taking interest. x