I blocked red catalogne this week.
It's a piece I made in 2019 and exhibited in Hard Twist that year.
It was distorted from the repeated wrapping stitch.
When I showed the piece, I pinned it in two places to the wall and let it take a natural shape. See here.
|wet artwork in a towel|
Considering it last week, I thought that I might be able to block it and straighten it out. (I block almost everything I make these days by washing the textile and then stretching it with pins into a foam design wall. )
So....I put the paper and linen cloth into the kitchen sink and ran the tap.
It was risky to put the paper and the linen and the red thread into water.
I wasn't sure if it would work but it did. It worked.
The red thread bled a bit - but that's OK. So do women.
The paper became a little more frail - but that's OK. So do people.
The linen cloth responded well to being pulled into shape.
Journal papers couched to a linen tablecloth.
A security blanket for my interior life.
If you are interested in seeing how the piece was made, follow its label, paper catalogne.