Thursday, December 10, 2015

all my life, later

 
 
No imagination is great enough to know before the works are done what they will be like.
We do not clearly know where we will arrive in our work.
Although we set the compass, we are led by materials and work process.  We have plans and blue prints, but the finished work is still a surprise.

In art work experience is immediate.
We can't postpone the use of what we learn.
Our education prepares us for a later day - a day that never comes.

Knowing for later is not knowing at all.

Anni Albers  1944


6 comments:

  1. what a post! on their own, these pieces are pleasing and enjoyable. together, they are powerful and profound.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you.
      I was so inspired by this wall of colour that I have been working at the machine, finishing up the patches that are already cut out for the flying geese strips and the grey and silver nine patches. I've edited out the paper pieced roses for now - to me they provided too much contrast.
      xo
      It is cheering me up to be sewing with colour.

      Delete
  2. I find that last sentence the most thought provoking, depending on where one pauses when saying it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read the whole passage as a push to just get'er done.
      That it's not an artwork until it's finished.
      To not just read about and learn from other artists, but to apply that knowledge, and most of the time, to apply it intuitively.
      loving Anni Albers right now - she believes in materials.
      x

      Delete

I hope that we can have a conversation about creation. Thank you for taking interest. x