Monday, December 19, 2016

mending

 
I am mending a quilt I made in 1987.
I saw a picture of an antique quilt in a magazine, and was inspired to try a sunshine and shadow quilt like it.  It required careful use of cotton prints.
When my father moved to a new city, I gave the quilt to him.  They moved because my mother had been diagnosed with rhumatoid arthritus and they thought that the doctors would be better in a university town.
Dad 'went horizontal' on his bed in the afternoons.
Eventually, the top of the quilt wore out, some of the fabrics disintegrated.
I started to mend it when he moved into long term care.  Since 2013, off and on, during my visits with him, I take the needle and scissors and scraps from a ziplock I keep in his cupboard and mend,
Sometimes I work on other sewing project or I go through photos with him, or I read to him.
He likes Ogden Nash.
He likes Emily Dickinson.
The mending seems to be a slow process.
I brought the quilt home a couple of weeks ago and told myself  "just go for it"!
Mend it.
Now.
The man is 93 years old.

2 comments:

  1. the deep soul comfort of mending for the people we love most

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a touching story, this quilt's time with your father and you. What a joyful occasion to see one of your own quilts used so much that some pieces wear through. I haven't seen my quilts used this much. I hope to be able to also patch some of my own quilts someday.

    ReplyDelete

I hope that we can have a conversation about creation. Thank you for taking interest. x