Monday, August 20, 2018

teaching again

 
 
 
We must not think of self-expression as something we may do or something we may not do.  Self-expression is inevitable.  In your work, in the way that you do your work, and in the results of your work, your self is expressed.

Behind and before self-expression is a developing awareness in the mind and that effects the work. This developing awareness I will also call "the work".  It is the most important part of the work.

There is the work in our minds, the work in our hands and the work as a result.

Agnes Martin

5 comments:

  1. "... As Carl Wilkens writes, "When we make something with our hands, it changes the way we feel, which changes the way we think, which changes the way we act."
    from 'The Hour of Land' by Terry Tempest Williams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love Terry Tempest Williams -s did not know about this book. Thank you Mo. xo

      Delete
  2. I would like to read more from Agnes Martin. Can you tell me book you read about her? I find her quotes always really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the newest book that contains Agnes Martin's writings was published in 2012. I have it, and it looks wonderful. I have not read much of the book, but her writings are reproduced beautifully. Agnes Martin: Paintings, Writings, Remembrances by Arne Glimcher published in 2012

      However, the one that I have read 4 times was published in 1991 with a re-print in 1998. I love this book - Agnes Martin: Writings Paperback – 1991
      by Agnes Martin (Author), Dieter Schwarz (Editor) I purchased it from art gallery of Ontario ages ago.
      They seem to be quite expensive as both have become rare - but these are the books I would reccomend Montse. thanks for your comments xo

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much for your generous help, Judy.
      xo

      Delete

I hope that we can have a conversation about creation. Thank you for taking interest. x