Wednesday, October 27, 2021

how content I feel, complete


 Played the piano at the dress rehearsal, made tacos and dough for gingerbread cookies, practiced piano with the girls and lost patience with all of them- am now going to quilt on my commission, Ned is watching Mash.  Now he has gone up to bed.  ‘You lazy dog’ he says to Rufus who is lying on the sofa.  December 1991 journal entry.  

That was then.

This is now.  30 years later.  On the wall in my town studio, the reverse side of Mended World, one of the 4 meditation panels I made with members of my community in 2011.  Blocked and cleaned after world tour with Masterworks: Abstract and Geometric.  There is a Marimekko print on the back of each panel - 90 inches square, they hang in a local church.

When I go into the town studio, I start by reading one of my old journals to set a mood and find my self.  It astounds me how busy I was with the children, yet still did the art. 

4 comments:

  1. That old journal entry gave me a chuckle. What a good resource to move you back in time, mindset wise anyway. Even though the beautiful print is a square, it feels as if a circle, due to the reverse side perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Nancy. I've been going through all my old journals - it's a lengthy process and I am enjoying it.
      xo

      Delete
  2. What great memories to have! Enjoy today!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, I agree. At first, when I began reading the old journals, I thought I didn't need to do it. I thought I could toss them. But I am enjoying them very much, and finding some wisdom in them. xo A sense of what it is to be alive and to be really involved in the life process, daily life.
      I don't write like this anymore. I am glad that I did.

      Delete

I hope that we can have a conversation about creation. Thank you for taking interest. x